Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Dalai Lama - a skateboarder?

I don't know why exactly the Dalai Lama visited Freiburg, but he did! :-) When this was announced months ago, I instantly bought tickets for his public hearing and I was really looking forward to this ever since. Especially after I had already accidentally seen him last year in India. There he rode past me in his car, when I was visiting Dharamsala, the place of his exile residence. But back then I could only see him for a split second. This time, it was to be the different:

About two hours before he was holding his speech in front of more than 7000 people, he went to visit the town hall to be welcomed by all kind of important people. Zillions of people were also gathering outside until he waved from the balcony to the cheering crowd. After this hype I went walking around the city and while doing so, I was strolling down a small street. All of a sudden I saw this group of people coming just behind me. It was the Dalai Lama, together with his bodyguards, TV, politicians,... He had spontaneously decided not to take the limousine but rather walk his way to the hotel.
So there I was, standing all by myself on the sidewalk, smiling from far towards the Dalai Lama, while holding my skateboard in my hands. It didn't take long, before his eyes targeted me from a distance away. He was obviously delighted by my means of transport. As he was passing me, he slowed down, pointed at my board and signalized his intent to step on it. Of course it was only a joke and at the same moment, he waved aside and said laughingly "too dangerous" .. "you be careful" :-) I was pretty much fully parallized and all I could do was to keep on smiling my brightest of all smiles, while mumbling something I don't even remember. Right after that the TV-folks came up to me and wanted an interview of how it felt to be adressed by the Dalai Lama in the middle of a street in Freiburg.
What can I say? I guess it doesn't happen to too many people to talk to the Dalai Lama about skateboarding :-D
I really don't know why things like these always happen to me, but they do. I don't mind - keep 'em coming ;-)

No comments: